Conway, Ark. - The CBC Mustangs hosted the Columbia College Cougars in American Midwest Conference action this weekend. The Cougars won the opening game on Friday, 6-4 and won the Saturday doubleheader 11-3, 8-5 to take the series. This was the first conference series for both squads.
In the first game of the Saturday doubleheader, the Cougars scored in the first four innings to push back CBC. Alex Anderson homered in the second inning to make it 2-0. The Mustangs would get on the board in the third when Jesse Grace (SR/Mayflower, AR) scored on a sac fly by Monterio May (SR/Helican, AL). Ben Madison (SO/Benton, AR) would get on after being hit by a Jeremy Rettig pitch. L'Donta Howard (SO/Foreman, AR) would score on a Jalin Lawson (SR/Troy, AL) single to make it 2-4. Columbia would add three more in the sixth.
GAME ONE (3-11) by the numbers:
- Jesse Grace went 2-3, 1R
- L'Donta Howard went 2-3, 1R
- Jalin Lawson went 1-3, 1 RBI
- Caulin Cragle (SR/Houston, TX) was charged with the loss. In four innings of work there were seven runs scored on seven hits, five strikeouts and one walk.
- Dylan Crossley (SO/Little Rock, AR) worked three innings and gave up four runs on four hits, five strikeouts, two walks.
CBC had just enough offense early to lead 3-1 through the fourth inning. The Mustangs scored a run in the first on a Santez Richardson (SR/Donalsonville, GA) fielder's choice that scored Jalin Lawson. Richardson homers in the third to make it 3-0. Columbia answered with homer in the fourth by Ward Mershon. The Cougars would tie it up in the fifth using back to back doubles in a stretch to score three. The Mustangs added a run the sixth however, the Cougars tied it again in the seventh. A three-run double in the ninth would give CC the advantage.
GAME TWO (5-8) by the numbers:
- Santez Richardson went 2-5, 2R, 3 RBI
- Josh Hibbard (SR/Munford, TN) went 4-4
- Monterio May went 2-4
- Brian Moreno (JR/La Victoria, Venezuela) pitched four innings and gave up three runs on five hits, three walks and six strikeouts.
- Cole Johnson (SR/Fordyce, AR) pitched two innings and gave up one run on three hits and struck out three.
- Aaron Kincaid (SR/Prairie Grove, AR) was charged with the loss with two innings of work. He had three runs on four hits, one walk and three strikeouts.
UP NEXT: The Mustangs will play a non-conference game on Tuesday, Feb 28 at Div ll Henderson State University. First pitch in Arkadelphia, Ark. Will be 6:00 p.m.
Follow CBC Baseball with links in the scoreboard to live stats and video (when available) at www.cbcmustangs.com