St Louis, Mo. - The Central Baptist College Mustangs traveled to Missouri Baptist University for a three game American Midwest Conference series. The teams split the double header with CBC winning the opening game 8-6. With no lights at Spartan Field and the first game going over three and a half hours, the second game had to be suspended on Friday evening. The Spartans won the second game that concluded on Saturday morning, 7-4.
CBC had a big five run third inning to catapult to an 8-6 win. Ben Madison (SO/Benton, AR) singled to centerfield. Connor Tatum (SO/Bryant, AR) reached safely on a bunt. Jalin Lawson (SR/Troy, AL) walked to load the bases. Monterio May (SR/Helican, AL) singled, driving in two runs. Nash Nichols (JR/Conway, AR) walked and L'Donta Howard (SO/Foreman, AR) singled to score two. A MBU catcher's error scores Nichols after he steals third.
GAME ONE (8-6) by the numbers:
- L'Donta Howard went 3-3, 2 RBI
- Monterio May went 2-4, 1R, 2 RBI
- Ben Madison went 2-4, 2R
- Brian Moreno (JR/La Victoria, Venezuela) got the win with five innings of work. He allowed four runs on six hits, walked three and struck out five.
- Cole Johnson (SR/Fordyce, AR) and Aaron Kincaid (SR/Prairie Grove, AR) closed out the game with Kincaid getting the save.
In a game two the Spartans led 6-1 before nightfall suspended the game. The game resumed on Saturday morning with MBU prevailing 7-4. Thru the first six innings the Spartans' Michael Syrett held the Mustangs at bay. Syrett allowed three runs on four hits, walked one and struck out eight of the 22 batters he faced. The Mustangs got some life in the seventh, scoring two runs. MBU took back one in the bottom of the inning and CBC scored one in the ninth for the final margin
GAME TWO (4-7) by the numbers:
- Austin Kuchinski (SO/Powder Springs, GA) went 2-4, 2 RBI
- Jalin Lawson went 1-4, 1R
- L'Donta Howard went 1-2, 1R
- Collin Nord (SR/Aberdeen, WA) took the loss in four innings giving up six runs on five hits, walking three and striking out five.
- CBC used three pitchers to close out the game as Gunner Allen (SR/Maumelle, AR), Ty Houser (JR/North Little Rock, AR) and Dylan Crossley (SO/Little Rock, AR) got work.
UP NEXT: After the Saturday's final game in the series, the Mustangs will be at Harris-Stowe State University March 10-11 with a single game on Friday starting at 1:00 pm and the Saturday doubleheader stating at noon.
Follow CBC Baseball with links in the scoreboard to live stats and video (when available) at www.cbcmustangs.com