North Little Rock, Ark. (Aug. 21, 2017) – The Central Baptist College Mustang men's soccer team opened the season tonight with a match against the Pilots of LSU-Shreveport at Burns Park. The Pilots, playing their first men's soccer match since 2012, scored four first half goals and rode that momentum to a 6-0 victory.
The Pilots' Murray Cockburn had a hat trick 8 minutes into the contest and Daniel Meza added the fourth goal before the halftime whistle sounded. LSU-Shreveport backed off in the second half, scoring once on a goal by David Martinez in the 55th minute and adding another on a Zac Gunaratnam-Bailey goal in the 84th minute.
- CBC finished with six total shots, including three on goal
- Oscar Marquez (SR/Perris, Calif.) garnered three shots, with two being on goal
- Callum Morris (SR/Leicester, England) had a shot, which was on goal
- Sam Collins (FR/Conway, Ark.) made three saves in his first career start
- Cockburn's first career hat trick
- Meza, who scored the fourth goal, assisted Gunaratnam-Bailey's goal
- Martinez also registered a pair of assists
- Yoran Van Houdt registered three saves in the shutout win
The Mustangs return to the pitch on Friday afternoon as they travel to Arkadelphia to take on Ouachita Baptist. Kickoff is set for 4 p.m.