Paragould, Ark. (Aug. 22, 2017) – Volleyball season began tonight for the Central Baptist College Mustangs with a tri-match at Crowley's Ridge College. The Mustangs swept the host 3-0 (25-20, 25-21, 25-16) in the first match before sweeping Philander Smith College 3-0 (25-17, 25-13, 25-15) as well.
"I'm very proud of our team," said head coach Shatel Gaines. "We had moments when we played great and moments when we struggled. We have improvements to be made, but overall I am very pleased with how we played! The effort, will to win and heart were all there. We have a very young team that stepped up and got the job done!"
Freshman Sarah Clemmons (FR/Bryant, Ark.) led the way with 20 combined kills while freshman Madelyn Black (FR/Hattiesburg, Miss.) registered a double-double for CBC in the first match with 19 assists and 11 digs. Sophomore Kelsy Knox (SO/Barling, Ark.) registered double digit kills with 17 and sophomore Hope Johnson (SO/Rogers, Ark.) contributed 24 assists in the two matches combined.
Mustang Notes – Crowley's Ridge
- Clemmons 15 kills came on 22 attacks for a hitting percentage of .545
- Black's double-double is the first of her career
- Senior Lenee Gibson (SR/Webb City, Mo.) (21) and sophomore Kobie Hartman (SO/Greenbrier, Ark.) (14) also contributed double digits in digs
- The Mustangs hit an impressive .203 as a team in the contest and held CRC to .082 in that category
- Ashley Pyeatt had seven kills to lead the way
- Maggie Brooks registered 14 assists
- Kerri Love led the way with 18 digs
Mustang Notes – Philander Smith
- Knox led the way with eight kills
- Black posted double digit assists again, this time with 12
- Sophomore Emily Harp (FR/Harrison, Ark.) posted eight aces, including four in a row in the first set
- The team combined for 16 service aces
The Mustangs make their Reddin Fieldhouse debut on Saturday with a tri-match against Mid-America Christian and Southwestern College (Kan.). The MACU match is set for 3 p.m. while the Southwestern match will be played at 7 p.m.