Conway, Ark. (Aug. 26, 2017) – Having already made it half way to last season's win total on their first day of play, the Central Baptist College volleyball team looked to equal that total, four, on their first home tri-match of the season today against Mid-America Christian University and Southwestern College.
Sarah Clemmons (FR/Bryant, Ark.) and Emily Harp (FR/Harrison, Ark.) combined to do most of the damage in the 3-0 (25-22, 25-22, 25-21) sweep of MACU, with a combined 19 kills on 30 attacks. The two big middles for CBC combined for 29 kills in a five-set nailbiter (25-18, 27-25, 21-25, 23-25, 16-14) over Southwestern.
"My girls showed a lot of heart tonight," said head coach Shatel Gaines. "There were a few times where they could have shut down and given up the set, but they refocused, fought through and came away with two big wins!"
- Clemmons had a combined 20 kills (eight, 12) in the two matches
- Harp had 26 combined kills and two services aces in the second match, including a match ender
- Madelyn Black (FR/Hattiesburg, Miss.) posted 22 assists against Southwestern
- Lenee Gibson (SR/Webb City, Mo.) and Kobie Hartman (SO/Greenbrier, Ark.) (24 and 23, respectively) both posted 20 dig matches against Southwestern
- The team finished with 63 kills (compared to 53 for Southwestern) and hit .187 in the second match
- Da'Jah Thompson posted eight kills on nine attacks
- Melissa Hoppal had eight assists
- Kanami Ellis had 19 kills and 14 digs for a double-double
- Catabrean Baumann also posted a double-double with 30 assists and 21 digs
- Three additional players had double digit digs
The Mustangs return to the court on Tuesday night at 6:30 p.m. with a trip to Pine Bluff, Ark., to take on UAPB, an NCAA Division I institution.