Walnut Ridge, Ark. (Sept. 19, 2017) – Corey Laisure (SR/Alexander, Ark.)'s goal in the 108th minute put the Central Baptist Mustang men's soccer team into the win column for the first time this season. Laisure stole the ball from a dribbling Willams Baptist (2-4-1, 1-1 American Midwest Conference) goalkeeper and put it into the net for a 2-1 Mustang (1-6, 1-1 AMC) victory.
"It was a hard fought victory," said head coach Taylor Carnahan. "I am extremely proud of these men and the amount of work they put in for 108 minutes. Their ability to stay focused and their discipline is what won us this match. We look to continue the momentum into Saturday's game."
CBC trailed 1-0 at halftime after the Eagles scored just before the whistle to take the lead. Callum Morris (SR/Leicester, England) equalized the match in the 62nd minute on a header off a cross from Nestor Moguel (SR/Conway, Ark.). The match would remain scoreless through the first overtime and Laisure's goal in the second overtime ended the game at that point.
- CBC matched the Eagles in corner kicks with five each
- Sam Collins (FR/Cape Town, South Africa) returned to goal tonight, making five saves
- The Mustangs were able to put seven shots toward goal (Morris 2, Nelson Donynath (FR/Geneva, Switzerland), Jarrel Grimes (SR/Port-of-Spain, Trinidad), Cory Ballew (JR/Bauxite, Ark.), Laisure and Travis Owen (SR/Magnolia, Texas))
- Abel Garcia made four saves
- Williams only carved out six shots on goal, four from Henrique Torres, and one each from Julian Mole La Terra and Giovanni Souza
CBC opens their home AMC slate on Saturday with a visit from the Owls of William Woods. Kickoff is set for 7 p.m.