St. Louis, Mo. (Oct. 10, 2017) – A pair of first-half goals combined with strong second-half defense provided the Central Baptist College Mustang men's soccer team the edge that they needed in a match against American Midwest Conference foe Harris-Stowe State. Goals from Nestor Moguel (SR/Conway, Ark.) and Nelson Donynath (FR/Geneva, Switzerland) gave CBC (3-9, 3-3 AMC) a lead they wouldn't relinquish, defeating the Hornets (3-9, 2-5 AMC), 2-1.
Bryce Deaton (SR/Bathurst, Austrailia), replacing a hobbled Sam Collins (FR/Cape Town, South Africa), made six important saves, including four in the second half to keep HSSU off the board. Moguel's goal came in the sixth minute when it deflected off a Hornet defender and into the net. Harris-Stowe tied it five minutes later before Donynath received a corner kick in the 37th minute and put it in the back of the net to provide the difference.
- Deaton earned the win, his first of the season
- Moguel's goal was his third of the year, placing him second on the team
- Donynath's goal was the first of his career
- CBC outshot the Hornets 16-11 and had five corner kicks to their three
- Justin Donovan's goal was his second of the season
- John Jancewicz had six saves in net
CBC returns home on Saturday for a visit from AMC rival Hannibal-LaGrange. Kickoff for the match is at 1 p.m.